I am giving my presentation this week and handing in my website on a CD.
My site is now online, take a look:
Here's my report for the project:
For this project I had to work with a client to make a professional Flash-based website. My client is DQ Pot Making, a South African company who have never had a website before.
I was given a few requirements at the start of the project by my client. They wanted a website that was really easy to navigate. No fancy complicated menus, just links to main sections of the site that were easy to see and use. They also wanted it to have good use of colour. They didn’t want a boring site that only used 1 colour for fonts and 1 colour for menus. They wanted bright colours and bright pictures too. It had to have useful information about their company like their history, products, and where the company was trying to get to in the future. They wanted to show off their products by have pictures of them on the website. They suggested a gallery might be good. The site also had to have contact details so that anyone who was looking at the site would know how to get in touch with them.
My research included looking at other Flash-based websites for inspiration for the design and layout. I found some very good sites and I reviewed some of them early in my weblog. I also looked at a lot of picture gallery websites and that helped me to come up with designs for my gallery. I had trouble finding other pot making company websites, there just seemed to be none that had a website. My research for content was mainly directly from the client, who I asked a lot of questions. This is how I established the requirements that I have written above. I also received many useful pictures from my client that I have used in the site. I found some useful fonts and sounds that I actually used in the website from dafont.com and flashkit.com.
My client was impressed with the website when I showed them the finished design. They said that they liked the minimalist layout of the site, and thought it was easy to navigate with a good menu. They were happy with the content that I used especially the pictures, and they thought the thumbnail gallery idea was good.
I have learned some very useful things along the way in this project. I now feel that I am very comfortable at using Macromedia Flash to build complete websites from start to finish. I had never even used Flash before this project. I think the way Eduardo showed us step-by-step exactly how to use the program really helped me. Another thing I learned early on was how to optimize pictures in Photoshop. This was vital because I had a lot of pictures to use and the files sizes would’ve been too big if I hadn’t optimized them. This was the first time I had worked with a real client and used their feedback to improve my work. That is great experience and a good thing to tell/show potential employers.
I am happy with the way the site turned out but there are a few things I think could improve the site more. It would be nice to have more pictures in the gallery, to present more of the company’s products. I think that an order form and contact form would also make it easier for the company to sell its products to a wider market.